Spanish-English Workbooks Teach Responsible Pet Care
The National Association for Humane and Environmental Education (NAHEE) has released a set of Spanish-English workbooks on responsible pet care. Pet Pals/Mascotas Compañeros were designed for educators with bilingual groups of students as well as those looking to introduce the Spanish or English language to their classes.
Published in three editions for different elementary grade levels, Pet Pals teaches students the basics of caring for dogs, cats, fish, and other popular companion animals. Each edition has 34 pages of activities on reproducible worksheets, each one appearing in English on one page and in Spanish on the facing page; an answer key; and a Spanish-English glossary. The worksheets include lively drawings and short narratives to help students learn vocabulary, language, reading, and critical thinking skills; the Grades 3-4 and 5-6 editions also include creative writing, and the Grades 5-6 edition covers math skills.
Topics covered in Pet Pals include:
- The basics of daily pet care, including giving pets food, shelter, health care, training, exercise, and love
- The importance of thinking carefully when getting a pet
- The importance of collars and identification tags
- How to make toys for pets (Grades 3-4 and 5-6 editions)
- The problem of pet overpopulation (Grades 3-4 and 5-6 editions)
- How to be safe around dogs (Grades 3-4 edition)
Order these materials online ($3 each or $8 for a set of three) at www.nahee.org or by calling NAHEE at 860-434-8666. Purchase orders can be faxed to 860-434-6282. Prices include standard shipping in the U.S.; please add 6% sales tax to orders shipped to Connecticut.