Finding lasting, loving homes for every pet is everyone’s goal. These tools can help you create the most successful adoption program possible. Get a wealth of resources from writing pet bios to creating an adoption agreement and much more on our Adoption resources page and check out the articles and teleseminars.
- How to Save a Life by Animal Sheltering magazine
- Increase Homeless Pet Adoptions from Animal Shelter Tips in partnership with the ASPCA
- When Size Matters by Animal Sheltering magazine
- Snapping to it by Animal Sheltering magazine
- Tips on Communicating with Adopters from ASPCApro
- How Pet Photos Increase Shelter Pet Adoptions from Pawsitively Texas
- Common Adoption Problems from Petfinder
- Find a volunteer photographer to take professional photographs of your charges at heARTs Speak
- How to Write Pet Profiles from Best Friends Animal Society
- How to Promote Shelter Dogs for Adoption from Best Friends Animal Society
- Better With Age: Finding Homes for Adult and Senior Cats by Animal Sheltering magazine
- Prize winning promotions from ASPCA
- The Little Black Book of Adoption Promotion Ideas from ASPCA
- Getting Black Cats Adopted by Animal Sheltering magazine
- Turbocharging Pit Bull Adoptions by Animal Sheltering magazine
- Adoption of Senior Pets from Maddie's Fund
Expanding Our Comfort Zone
We all hear the complaints about how difficult it can be to adopt from a rescue group -- it comes from our desire to make sure every animal goes to the perfect home. But in trying to guarantee perfection, are we actually driving wonderful adopters away? Don’t let perfect become the enemy of good. Read on for tips on how to relax your judgment and increase your adoption success without sacrificing quality of life for the animals you get adopted.
Recent studies have shown that, despite fears in the animal welfare community, adopting out animals for a reduced fee or no fee does not mean they are more likely to end up in the wrong hands. Bottom line: the standards used in the adoption screening matter more than the adoption fee that a rescue charges.
- The Truth About Free Cat Adoptions from Maddie’s Fund
- Tips for Free Adult Cat Promotions from ASPCA Pro
- Report on Adoption Forum II from PetSmart Charities
- Judgment Calls by Animal Sheltering magazine
- The Placement Conundrum by Animal Sheltering magazine
- Free to Good Home by Animal Sheltering magazine
From the HSUS Pets For Life Community Outreach Toolkit developed in partnership between HSUS and PetSmart Charities, the chapter How to Approach and Talk to People focuses on the importance for animal welfare organizations to set aside assumptions in order to be more effective in our goals. View the entire toolkit.