How to Get Employer Support to Attend Expo
One of the best ways to get management support is to submit a formal proposal to your direct supervisor, outlining the organizational benefits of attending the conference. First, determine if your organization has a formal professional development policy, form and/or designated amounts for their employees.
Second, review the daily schedule for the conference online to identify the educational sessions and networking events that address the specific needs within your organization. Third, begin preparing your proposal.
Why Should You Attend?
Animal Care Expo is the largest international education/training conference and trade show in the fields of animal care and control, rescue and emergency services. Now approaching its 22nd year, Expo is proud to provide attendees with workshops for shelter and animal care professionals, emergency managers and responders, volunteers, veterinarians and vet technicians, and equine protection.
At Animal Care Expo 2013, you will have the opportunity to attend over 55 educational workshops, daylong workshops and over 175 exhibition booths. In addition, Expo provides outstanding networking and continuing education opportunities with attendees from animal welfare agencies and shelters across the globe.
Continuing Education Credits
All 2013 Animal Care Expo workshops have been pre‐approved for Certified Animal Welfare Administrator continuing education credits.
There is no additional cost (beyond registration) to attend continuing education programs at Expo.
Top Benefits of Attendance
- High-quality sessions from a wide variety of topic tracks.
- Learn from experts, representatives from government agencies, leaders in the field and fellow practitioners about what’s new, and the challenges, accomplishments and solutions that are impacting today’s animal care field.
- Dedicated Trade Show featuring the latest products and services from a variety of exhibitors.
- Outstanding networking opportunities and special events with over 1700 colleagues from across the world who are managers, supervisors and administrators from small, medium and large organizations.
Ideas on How to Overcome Objections to Your Request
Objection: This conference is too expensive.
- Animal Care Expo is reasonable given the value of the education and networking opportunities provided.
- The conference features many excellent speakers in one place for one price.
- The early bird rate provides a significant discount over the regular rate. Registered non-profits may receive an additional discount.
- Animal Care Expo has negotiated very competitive room rates for conference attendees..
Objection: What will the organization gain from your attendance?
Show in your proposal, through examples, how the conference provides:
- New ideas on how to save time and money, and positively influence your organization's operations.
- Access to education programming that can be brought back to the organization. All Expo attendees receive online access to all the session handouts.
- Opportunities for relationship-building with experts, colleagues, referral sources, and product and service providers.
- Opportunities to develop practical knowledge and skills.
Objection: The organization cannot afford to have you away from the office.
- Have a plan ready that shows how the conference will provide a cross-training opportunity, who will cover for you, and how you can manage your workload while you are away.
- Explain to your organization that it is easy to manage your absence with email and voicemail. Animal Care Expo has a free Internet Cafe available to all attendees.
- Remind your supervisor that supporting your attendance at the conference shows the organization’s commitment to your professional development.
How to Create a Successful Proposal
Your proposal should include:
- A schedule of sessions you'd like to attend and why the knowledge gained will be valuable to your organization. Make your proposal more powerful by listing the department’s goals and objectives and how they relate to the corresponding education sessions.
- A list of areas where your organization faces challenges, and how the proposed sessions you would like to attend will help you to develop solutions to meet your organization's needs.
- Include the cost of registration, travel and accommodations. Download a sample letter of a request to attend the conference (in Word or PDF format) to help you develop your own proposal.