Join us for the 2nd Annual Animal Welfare Summit in Puerto Rico! This free, 2-day, dual-track conference will include classroom instruction for veterinary and shelter/rescue personnel. The conference is free to all. Participants must register for and attend all training sessions.
August 10 - 11, 2019
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Ponce Fair Complex
Ave. Rafael Cordero Santiago, Ponce, 00716
Current topics to be covered
- Community cat and dog caretaking best practices: providing food, water, shelter; sanitation and preventing conflict/nuisances; succession planning; keeping animals healthy
- Trapping techniques and guidelines: creating a trapping plan, scouting and preparation; trap selection and use; how to trap; tips and tricks for hard to catch animals and special situations; team trapping; mass trapping; safety (animals and people);
- Veterinary care: accessing spay/neuter; ear-tipping, vaccinations, testing; recovery periods; monitoring health of cats and dogs
- Community cat and dog program management and monitoring (data collection): setting goals; building animal-friendly communities: public health, threats to wildlife, neighbor concerns; population dynamics; targeting/smart TNR; voluntary colony/caretaker registry; what data to collect and what to do with it; how many animals? collecting baseline information; on-going population monitoring; colony inventory and residency data collection
- Community outreach: advocating for animals/TNR with residents; building a community/support network, recruiting volunteers; training others in TNR
- Registration of animals and rabies vaccinations
- Government initiatives
The Humane State program thanks the following organizations for their support: