- Who is my main point of contact for Animal Care Expo?
- Where and when is the conference?
- What airport should I fly to for the conference?
- Do I need to make my own hotel reservations?
- Are any of my expenses covered?
- How do I register for the conference?
- Can I find out how many people are attending my workshop?
- How will the meeting room be setup and what audiovisual equipment will be available to me?
- Will my presentation be pre-loaded in the room before I arrive?
- Will HSI be providing handouts?
- What should I do when I arrive at the conference?
- What if I need assistance during the conference?
- After my workshop, can I review the workshop evaluations that attendees complete?
- What is the HSI Hospitality Room?
Who is my main point of contact for Animal Care Expo?
Donna Pease, International Coordinator for Animal Care Expo is your point of contact. If you have a question that is not answered here, please contact Donna. You can contact her via email at email@example.com or by phone at 301-548-7739
Where and when is the conference?
May 14-17, 2018
Kansas City Convention Center
301 W. 13th St
Kansas City, MO 64105
Tel #: 816-513-5000
What airport should I fly to for the conference?
You should fly into Kansas City International Airport (airport code: MCI). There is no hotel shuttle service so you will need to find alternate transportation such as a taxi or Uber.
Do I need to make my own hotel reservations?
No, your hotel reservation will be made for you. Please provide your arrival and departure dates to Donna Pease. Do not call the hotel directly about your reservation; please contact Donna Pease regarding reservation changes.
Kansas City Marriott Downtown
200 West 12th Street
Kansas City, MO 64105
HSI will cover 2 nights (single occupancy) stay at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. If you choose to stay elsewhere you will be responsible for your own reservations and will NOT be reimbursed for your accommodations. You will be responsible for payment on any additional nights you stay, and expenses incurred by incidentals including phone calls, room service meals (not on dates presenting) and internet access, etc.
HSI will cover 5 nights (double occupancy). If you choose to stay elsewhere you will be responsible for your own reservations and will NOT be reimbursed for your accommodations. You will receive more information at a later date regarding your hotel confirmation/roommate. If you require other arrangements, please contact Donna Pease.
Are any of my expenses covered?
- Full conference registration — complimentary for presenters (This includes the Global Animal Issues Learning Lab, however; there is an additional fee to attend other Learning Labs and this fee is not reimbursable by Humane Society International (HSI)).
- Airfare — presenters are to make their own flight reservations and will be reimbursed for round-trip, coach airfare with at least a 21-day advance purchase. If tickets are not purchased with at least a 21-day advance, HSI will deduct 20% of the fare you paid. HSI will not reimburse airfare costs exceeding $600 without a written exception. You must submit a receipt which includes the date you purchased the ticket. Please keep our tight budget in mind when making travel arrangements. HSI will not reimburse for flight changes after your flight is booked unless HSI is responsible for the change and approves the additional charge.
- Meals — please take advantage of several complimentary meals offered during Expo. HSI will only reimburse meal expenses for days you are speaking to a maximum of $35 per day ($7 for breakfast, $10 for lunch, $18 for dinner and gratuity not to exceed 15%). If a meal is provided during Expo (e.g., lunch/dinner served in the exhibit hall) on the day you speak, the per diem amount for that meal will be subtracted. HSI will not reimburse for purchases without an original itemized receipt (a credit card receipt without itemization is not accepted). ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AND IN-ROOM MEAL SERVICE WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED.
- Ground transportation — HSI will reimburse you up to $60 for transportation needs including shared ride, shuttle, taxi, Uber, rental care, gasoline, parking and/or tolls.
How do I register for the conference?
You do not need to register for the conference; your registration will be taken care of for you. Please send your job title and organization name to Donna Pease.
Can I find out how many people are attending my workshop?
During the registration process, attendees are asked to select the workshops they plan to attend. Although they may change their minds, these numbers give us a good estimate. The session counts will be emailed to speakers starting the first week of May.
How will the meeting room be setup and what audiovisual equipment will be available to me?
A head table and podium at the front of the room is available for speakers. The room will be set-up in classroom style seating depending on the layout of the room and its capacity. The workshop room will be equipped with a laptop computer, wired lavaliere (clip on microphone), wired podium microphone, and LCD player. Due to the high costs of renting equipment television sets, DVD, VCR players, and overhead projectors are not available. If you need the additional equipment, the speaker will be charged and will not be reimbursed. Internet will not be available in the workshop room. If you have a video to show, please burn it to a DVD and play through the laptop. The laptops will be operated by Windows XP and will be equipped with Microsoft Office 2007 and Windows Media Player.
Will my presentation be pre-loaded in the room before I arrive?
No, it is the responsibility of the speaker to bring their presentation on a jump drive (thumb drive) or CD and load it on the provided laptop prior to the start of thier workshop. Technicians will be available if assistance is needed.
Will HSI be providing handouts?
We will not be printing handouts for attendees. Handouts will be provided to attendees online prior to the conference. Speakers must submit their handouts no later than April 20, 2018. The handout submission form will be available in late January.
PLEASE REMEMBER as you prepare your presentation ….
- Keep your presentation as simple as possible. For many of the international attendees, English is not their first language. It may be difficult for them to follow a complicated presentation and/or technical terms.
- This is not an advertising opportunity for your organization. The goal of the HSI program is to provide information and “how to” instructions for the attendees. Examples from your work can definitely be included, but the nuts and bolts of how to accomplish the task is what the attendees need.
- Keep an eye on your time. We are covering a lot of ground in a short period of time and we want to ensure that everyone is given equal time to share their area of expertise.
What should I do when I arrive at the conference?
Please check in at the Expo registration counter of Expo during registration hours and pick up your name badge and conference bag. Inside your bag is a pocket guide of tracks/workshops. Please review the workshop times for the Global Animal Issues track and attend accordingly. If you need to speak with Donna Pease upon your arrival, please have the registration counter page her.
What if I need assistance during the conference?
Each workshop will have a room monitor, who should introduce themselves to you. If you have any issues during your presentation, please alert the room monitor. If you need assistance at any other time, please instruct the room monitor to go to the Expo registration counter and have them page Donna Pease.
After my workshop, can I review the workshop evaluations that attendees complete?
HSI produces an evaluation form for the overall international workshops at the end of the conference - not for individual workshops. After the conference, you may send a request for an evaluation summary to Donna Pease.
What is the HSI Hospitality Room?
HSI offers an international hospitality room to our attendees - this room has a computer w/internet access so they can check-in at home, tables to showcase their organization’s information (sometimes they bring trinkets from home to sell and raise funds for their organization), or a place for them to come and just chill. All international speakers are invited to stop by at any time during Expo. Some attendees use this room as a meeting place to get together and/or have networking meetings. Whatever the reason, it’s a home away from home place for them. This room is only open when workshops are NOT in session and is always monitored by an HSI staff member when open (usually by Donna Pease). Donna also provides a little chocolate incentive if the need arises!
Thank you and enjoy Expo 2018!