At Humane Animal Rescue, we strive to provide high-quality information, referral, resources, and Admissions services to good Samaritans and pet owners coming for assistance. As an organization, we are working to reduce shelter intake and length of stay in the shelter through the provision of helpful, supportive, non-judgmental, proactive services that reunite lost pets with owners, give owners tools to be able to keep their pets, and partner with the people of our community in innovative ways to make life better for people and pets.
• Assist customers inquiring about pet surrender with empathy and compassion, not judgment, and partner with them to find the best solution for their specific situation.
• Admission of domestic animals into the Humane Animal Rescue based on the resources and policies of the organization.
• Ensure the integrity, accuracy, and completeness of the animal file after the Admissions process.
• Return Pet Helpline phone calls and e-mail in a timely manner with helpful and clear resources and guidance for pet owners. Schedule admission appointments as necessary.
• Maintain awareness of available cage space to ensure intake does not exceed humane capacity for care.
• Transport animals/equipment/supplies and release Community Cats as necessary to other approved locations (ex. Specialty veterinary appointments, offsite stores, rescues, etc.)
• Ensure that all animal admissions areas are maintained in a clean, sanitary, and comfortable manner.
• Perform assessments during the scheduled admissions appointment and discuss resources and options to owner.
• Reunite lost pets with owners by tracking down and documenting all leads available.
• Assist management with offsite surrenders within the community and possible Humane Investigation cases when necessary.
• Assist in maintaining department vehicles by performing regular maintenance and cleaning; re-stock vehicle as needed.
• Provides accurate information and friendly professional service to the public and to co-workers in a positive, courteous, truthful and tactful manner.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Some previous animal handling experience required.
• Passion for animals and animal welfare.
• Must have valid PA driver’s license with acceptable driving record and be comfortable driving a variety of vehicles.
• Strong attention to detail.
• The ability to make rational decisions and be professional in an emotional environment/situation.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability and desire to interface with the public, volunteers, and key organizational partners.
• Ability to rationalize when faced with emotional decisions.
• Ability to stay focused on the priorities of the job; strong time management skills with the ability to handle numerous responsibilities at once and work well under pressure.
• Must be able to work standing or sitting for 8 hours.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
• Weekend and evenings are required
• Ability to work and think independently; proven organization skills with attention to detail.
• Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
When handling animals, there is a potential for animal bites, exposure to zoonotic diseases, animal dander and noise. Potential for working with angry or irate customers. The employee will primarily be working in the shelter environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to bend, stand, stoop, walk, sit, talk, listen, hear; use hands to finger, manipulate, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This role routinely requires handling of animals in varying degrees of behavior and requires keen observational skills, as well as dexterity with a leash and other training equipment used with both cats and dogs. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee is frequently required to lift or handle animals, carriers, and other equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Travel between North Shore and East End locations is required.
• Travel transporting animals and supplies around the Pittsburgh region is required. Company vehicle is provided for transporting animals.
Required Education and Experience:
• Associates Degree of higher education preferred.
• Degree in animal or social work/psychology area helpful.
• At least 1 years work experience with animals.
To apply, please visit:
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Saturday, October 31, 2020