Position: Adoption & Intake Assistant Manager
Job Status: Exempt
Reports To: Adoption & Intake Manager
Revision Date: 7/29/2020
Assists the Adoption & Intake Manager (“Manager”) in the management and oversight of all Adoption & Intake Specialists (“Specialists”) to ensure the delivery of welcoming, solution-oriented client services to all visitors of the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA. Responsible for the management of all aspects of animal intake, matchmaking and the adoption process. Works hands-on with staff to help guide good decision making, enthusiastic interactions, and a proactive approach, ensuring that animals are placed in caring and appropriate homes.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
• Ensure that all Specialists are adhering to adoption manuals, forms and procedures surrounding the adoption process.
• Oversee the Specialists’ matchmaking processes to ensure pets are being matched with the most appropriate homes to ensure successful adoptions.
• Ensure safe and productive interactions between the public, publically owned pets and shelter pets.
• Ensure that all adoption decisions are made in a thoughtful, respectful and non-judgmental manner.
• Assist Specialists with the intake of all incoming animals, ensuring that data entry is accurate and entered in a timely manner; train staff to collect objective information from customers in an empathetic manner. Work cooperatively with City/County Animal Control Officers.
• In the absence of the Manager, receive Owner Surrender Profiles, working proactively to increase pet retention with supportive communication; schedule owner surrender appointments in coordination with the Director of Operations; triage walk-in pet returns and owner surrenders.
• Assist in overseeing cremation services under the direction of the Director of Finance; monitor cremation log for accuracy and submit monthly invoicing if requested by the Manager.
● Review training processes with newly on-boarded staff so that they effectively deliver services and embody the mission of the CASPCA.
● Work in conjunction with the Manager to ensure regular staff oversight, workflow distribution, and adherence to policy.
● Provide real time triage, problem solving, and conflict resolution as needed.
● Review any staff issues with the Manager that required management involvement in their absence.
● Ensure that Specialists facilitate quality matches for animals at the shelter by providing thorough review of applications and counseling discussions with adopters.
● Model an excellent, customer service oriented attitude at all times.
• Handle any customer complaints, personally work to concerns/complaints and resolve issues in a professional and timely manner.
● Assist the Manager with staff scheduling, interviews and employee reviews as requested.
● Oversee cash handling procedures for relevant staff, ensuring compliance and providing training/accountability where needed. Ensure that the Daily Register Reconciliation is completed.
● Coordinate with staff to ensure relevant public areas and staff work areas are maintained as clean, orderly, and welcoming to the public.
● Ensure all physical and emotional needs of lobby animals are met.
● Assist the Manager with the oversight of the retail area, including inventory and product ordering.
● Serve as the Manager in Charge in the absence of the Manager.
● Serve as an Adoption & Intake Specialist when needed.
● Perform all other duties as assigned by leadership and departmental staff.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment:
● Ability to lift and transport materials weighing up to 65 pounds.
● Ability to handle animals effectively and humanely.
● Have a high level of manual dexterity.
● The ability to bend and squat.
● The ability to stand or sit for significant periods of time.
● Exposure to disinfectant solutions and zoonotic diseases.
● Subject to animal bites and scratches.
● Consistently exposed to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.
● Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the organization. May require evening, holiday, and weekend work hours.
Required Skills / Experience:
● Associate’s Degree preferred.
● Animal care experience preferred.
● Staff management/supervision experience preferred.
● In-depth knowledge of customer service principles and practices required.
● Excellent skills in effective communication and conflict resolution.
● Must be highly motivated, with strong communication skills and a professional manner.
● Must be a team player and self-starter, able to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
● Valid Virginia Driver’s License required; must be comfortable driving all CASPCA vehicles, abiding by all traffic laws.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Thursday, October 29, 2020