Position: Adoption & Intake Specialist
Job Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Adoption & Intake Manager
Revision Date: 7/29/2020
The Adoption & Intake Specialist delivers welcoming, solution-oriented client services to all visitors of the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA. Responsible for ensuring animals are placed in caring and appropriate homes and adopters are counseled on animal care needs. Maintains accurate recordkeeping, provides empathetic counseling, and facilitates a safe and healthy work environment.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
• Assists members of the public by matching potential adopters with suitable available pets.
• Facilitates pet adoptions by counseling adopters on animal care needs and processing paperwork.
• Provides prompt and exceptional customer service and clear communication of services via all platforms (in person, email, or telephone).
• Supports community pet retention by tracking and responding to lost and found pet reports.
• Receives incoming animals and accurately files animal records.
• Cleans and cares for animals housed in the Lobby area.
• Receives and promptly distributes donations from members of the public.
• Participates in onsite and offsite adoption, marketing, or fundraising events as needed.
• Provides prompt, exceptional customer service delivery and clear communication of services via all platforms – in person, email, or telephone communication.
• Enters data into shelter database that is prompt, objective, and clear, according to existing protocol.
• Works cooperatively with all departments, staff and volunteers, and provides excellent customer service both internally and externally.
• Maintains an organized and strategically arranged workspace.
• Remains positive and mission focused while under stress.
• Performs other tasks duties as assigned, as requested by the Adoption & Intake Manager.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
• Ability to lift and transport materials weighing up to 50 pounds
• Ability to humanely handle and effectively communicate a wide array of animal behaviors
• Have a high level of manual dexterity
• The ability to bend and squat and stand for significant periods of time
• Exposure to disinfectant solutions.
• Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling animals
• Exposure to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available
• Must be comfortable driving a 26' mobile unit as necessary
• Must be available to work weekends and holidays as deemed necessary
• Associate’s Degree preferred
• Animal care experience preferred
• In-depth knowledge of customer service principles and practices required
• Must be highly motivated, with strong communication skills and a professional manner
• Must be a team player and self-starter, able to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
• Valid Virginia Driver’s License
Please note: A cover letter and resume are required in order to apply for this position.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Thursday, October 29, 2020