Must be available to work standby hours (weekends, holidays, nights are rotated with other staff). Must also be able to attend a full-time, 3-week (120 hours) training academy. James City County Police Department seeks an individual to perform responsible animal control work enforcing local city, county, and state animal protection and control laws and regulations. Animal Control Officers are appointed to serve by the James City County Board of Supervisors and respond to calls for service within James City County and the City of Williamsburg. Successful candidate will work 8 hours per day, M-F and share standby/on-call hours on nights, weekends, and holidays with two other officers. Additional hours for response to calls for service during standby hours are incurred if circumstances require. An assigned, marked vehicle is provided (take-home if within 15 driving miles of JCC).
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; and, some experience working with animals.
- Must be a citizen of the United States and be at least 21 years of age at completion of Animal Control Academy.
- Must meet all minimum qualifications per Virginia Code 15.2-1705.
- Must possess or be able to obtain within 30 days of employment a valid Virginia driver’s license and have / maintain an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Must attend a full-time, 3-week (120 hours) training academy and other on-going training as required.
This is a full time job.
James City County
Posting Date: February 8, 2019
Closing Date: May 8, 2019