Responsible for supervising the kennel, for supervising and training kennel personnel, for overseeing humane euthanasia procedures, for ensuring the humane care of all animals impounded at the shelter and other tasks as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversee, schedule, assign and review the daily work activities of the kennel staff.
- Oversee the general care of all animals housed at the shelter and perform a daily walkthrough of the kennel.
- Oversee a daily kennel inventory of the animals housed in the facility.
- Oversee the general cleanliness and sanitation of the shelter.
- Enforce disease control, animal health and sanitation protocols.
- Enforce animal shelter policies and procedures.
- Handle general maintenance problems at the shelter.
- Instruct kennel personnel in proper and humane handling techniques of animals.
- Perform routine first aid of injured animals.
- Perform and supervise euthanasia to ensure proper humane techniques are being followed. Maintain accurate drug records and logs.
- Maintain accurate records and statistics of kennel activities. Oversee and maintain accurate kennel records in the animal management software system.
- Order and maintain supplies and materials needed in the kennel.
- Monitor and evaluate job performance of kennel staff and handle disciplinary actions.
- Oversee feeding and watering of animals.
- Oversee the intake process and ensure that policy is being followed.
- Oversee the care of quarantined animals.
- Manage the staff fairly, effectively and efficiently and serve as a model for staff.
- Other tasks as assigned.
This position requires the supervision of the kennel staff. The position also requires the evaluation, growth and development of those being supervised. The position includes outlining the responsibilities of the subordinate staff, scheduling, and disciplinary actions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must be familiar with animal behavior and handling and have excellent people skills.
- Advanced knowledge of animal behavior, habits, and husbandry.
- Advanced animal handling skills for large and small animals.
- Considerable knowledge of animal welfare programs.
- Ability to prepare and maintain routine work records and reports.
- Ability to supervise the work of assigned subordinates.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Certified in humane euthanasia. Ability to properly maintain drug logs.
- Must be available to work on weekends.
- Must pass background check and drug screening.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A minimum of 2 years’ experience in shelter or kennel management in an animal shelter that impounds a minimum of 4000 animals a year is required.
This is a full time job.
Posting Date: May 15, 2019
Closing Date: June 15, 2019