JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform behavior assessments, evaluations, enrichment, training, and modification programs of sheltered animals to ensure adoptability and placement.
- Must be prepared to handle or work with animals weighing up to 100Ibs and exhibiting a variety of behaviors, including those with challenges.
- Assist with designing, teaching, oversight, and day-to-day activities of specific classes and behavior programs as assigned.
- Assist pet owners with specific behavior and care needs through the PHS behavior helpline, private consultations, classes, assisting with adoptions, public inquiries and handouts as assigned.
- Identify animal behavior and care needs, document, execute, and report to appropriate department.
- Assist with the development of programs and training to work closely with and oversee volunteers that are assigned and trained in different behavior programs.
- Ensure safe and humane animal handling at all times.
- Clean animal areas if and when assigned.
- Maintain documentation and record keeping for behavior programs as needed.
- As part of shelter care team, monitor animal health, document and report challenges to the appropriate department.
- Ensure a positive, educational approach to customer service with a goal of educating the public and keeping animals in homes as appropriate. Promote positive relations with the general public, volunteers and staff while promoting the Society’s programs, policies and philosophies. Address customer complaints.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in handling animals, teaching reward-based training.
- Experience in behavior and body language, and client communication regarding behavior and training.
- Candidate must be able to work within the confines of established curriculum and protocols as well as offer creative ideas to grow Behavior and Training Department.
- Must be able to follow both oral and written instructions.
- Candidates must have a positive attitude and be willing to work as a team.
- Minimum high school graduate (or GED/proficiency certificate).
- Dog training certification highly preferred (CPTD, KPA-CTP, CDBC, ANWI).
- Experience in teaching group or private dog training.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Proficient in computer applications, including the shelter system, Microsoft suite and email.
- Strong sense of professional judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality.
This is a full time job.
Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA
Posting Date: September 11, 2019
Closing Date: October 11, 2019