Canine Behavior Specialist
The Canine Behavior Specialist provides behavioral enrichment to the dogs in Animal Care Centers of New York City’s (ACC) care, including assisting with playgroups and behavioral assessments, providing exercise, behavioral and environmental enrichment, socialization, and basic training.
Hands On (90%)
- Work with the Behavior and Enrichment Supervisor to maintain and support programs that provide behavioral and environmental enrichment, exercise, socialization, and care focusing on dogs housed at ACC.
- Participate in playgroups daily: run dogs to the yard and learn safe management techniques for monitoring play sessions.
- Implement enrichment plans for dogs at the care centers.
- In conjunction with enrichment plans, teach basic manners during exercise and in the kennel as appropriate.
- Work with the behavior staff, animal care staff, and volunteers to identify particular animals that are shy, have been with ACC for a long time and/or need special attention.
- Assist with canine handling evaluations as needed.
- Carefully monitor and communicate behavior and body language during assessments to ensure the safety of the Assessor.
- Clean up after animals. This includes picking up after dogs during walks, spot cleaning kennels as needed, and cleaning of the play yard and all enrichment supplies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Keep accurate written records to identify what was done each day for each animal and to monitor the plan.
- Update records and wellness boards as new information becomes available.
- Record enrichment sessions for DOH hold and priority dogs.
Ability to make sound judgments and work independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands. Ability to foster a cooperative, encouraging and positive work environment with staff as well as volunteers. Flexibility with daily tasks as well as hours depending on operational needs. Must be able to handle all types and breeds of dogs with varying behaviors and energy levels, including those showing fearful and aggressive behaviors. Strong communication skills, both verbal and written. The ability to remain pleasant, calm and objective in all situations. Must be able to lift and move up to 50 pounds.
Education and Work Experience
High School Diploma or GED required. Previous experience interacting with and caring for dogs in a private or shelter setting. Familiarity with canine playgroups preferred.
Candidate must have ability to work in an animal facility where euthanasia is performed. Ability to remain calm, assertive, and professional in stressful situations is required. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently exposed to odors or airborne particles including animal fur and toxic chemicals. The noise level in the environment can be very loud.
Reports To: Behavior and Enrichment Assistant Manager
Overtime: This position is not exempt from overtime.
This is a full time job.
Human Resources Assistant
Animal Care Centers of NYC
Posting Date: May 21, 2019
Closing Date: June 21, 2019