To support Dog Care Manager, other Dog Shelter staff and volunteers with day to day operations, volunteer training, canine training and enrichment programs, scheduling intakes, and processing adoptions. Responsible for running the shelter efficiently and competently on the Dog Care Manager’s scheduled days off. Other tasks may be assigned by shelter management.
Reports To: Dog Care Manager
Supervisory Responsibilities: No direct supervision other than assisting volunteers as needed
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Daily Shelter Operations
- Greet and direct visitors, provide general information to the public
- Compile and maintain proper and accurate documentation on all paperwork and in shelter database, including adoptions, surrenders, lost and found reports
- Process stray dog intakes and RTO’s (return to owner) for our partners at Camas/Washougal Animal Control
- Respond to emails, answer phone calls and return messages in a timely manner
- Tend to in-shelter dog’s care, including kennel cleaning, bathing, feeding, and ensuring a safe, healthy and comfortable environment at all times
- Develop and oversee implementation of in-shelter volunteer training programs
- Provide leadership, guidance, and support for volunteers
- Oversee and track volunteer implementation of programs
- Canine Training and Enrichment
- Develop and oversee implementation of in-shelter canine training and daily enrichment programs
- Instruct and mentor volunteers on behavior modification, positive reward-based training methods, and multi-sensory enrichment techniques for dogs to reduce stress, anxiety, enhance the quality of life, increase adoptability and lower length of stay
- Develop and offer canine body language and dog handling training to volunteers.
- Know and comply with all intake and behavior and medical assessment procedures, including vaccine schedules and deworming
- Assist with medical work-ups as needed by staff
- Complete intakes in shelter software/database
- Know and comply with surgery standard operating procedures
- Appropriately introduce potential adopters to dogs, assist potential adopters with completion of adoption applications
- Conduct adoption counseling and medical and/or behavioral consultations
- Process adoptions through shelter database and accept payment
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of dog and puppy care Intermediate level proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, etc)
- Ability to use internet and learn required software database programs
- Experience or knowledge of working with, communicating and training of volunteers
- Unrestricted driver’s license and able to operate all vehicles and have a clean driving record
- Experience working with public and events
Hours: 16 hours a week. Required days are Monday and Saturdays, third day is negotiable.
Compensation: $12/hour Closing Date: Position is open until filled
Submit resume and references by email to: Delaneye@wcghs.org
Or mail to: WCGHS, PO Box 270, Washougal, WA 98671.
This is a part time job.
Posting Date: July 10, 2019
Closing Date: August 10, 2019