Responsible for cleaning cages and kennels, feeding animals, and processing animals during intake. Other duties may include medicating animals, assisting owners who are brining pets, contacting owners of tagged pets, assisting in rehabilitation of and transporting animals, and other tasks as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
• Properly cleaning and disinfecting dog and cat cages.
• Properly feeding and watering dogs, cats and other animals based on age, size, weight and condition.
• Notifying kennel supervisors or veterinary personnel of sick, injured, or pregnant animals.
• Safely and properly handling all animals including bite quarantine animals, vicious animals and feral cats.
• Processing dogs, cats and other animals during intake to include:
o Entering data correctly in animal management software
o Vaccinating animals
o Deworming animals
o Taking pictures, scanning animals for chips and looking for ID tags
o Drawing blood and performing heartworm and combo tests
o Reading case notes to properly classify animals
• Updating animal management software when an animal’s status has changed or if it is moved to a new cage.
• Euthanizing animals or assisting with euthanasia.
• Taking specimens of rabies suspect animals.
• Transporting sick or injured animals to offsite veterinarians or outreach events as needed.
• Learn characteristics of basic animal behavior.
• Other tasks as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Knowledge of general animal care principles and practices.
• Ability to stand for extended periods (8 hours a day) and to bend and reach to perform assigned work activities.
• Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. without assistance.
• Ability to interact with impounded dogs, cats and other animals including vicious, stray, sick or injured animals. Ability to handle seeing and dealing with animals that have been abused, neglected or treated cruelly.
• Ability to understand and follow a variety of oral and written instructions/procedures.
• Ability to learn animal management software system and accurately enter information into the software system.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to learn/perform a variety of animal care related work activities.
• Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity.
• Ability to handle performing or assisting with euthanasia.
• Must be available to work on weekends.
• Must pass background check and drug screening.
• Must have reliable transportation.
• Must like animals!
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum of high school diploma. One+ years’ experience in animal related field preferred.
Must be able to read and interpret kennel policy guidelines and policies and procedures. Must be able to communicate effectively to kennel visitors and provide good customer services skills.
Must have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written or verbal form and to follow those instructions correctly.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certification in euthanasia may be required.
Drivers license may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, employee may be exposed to a kennel that is not air-conditioned and may be exposed to unpleasant kennel smells. May have to handle dogs and cats that are stray, injured, diseased or vicious. May also be exposed to animal carcasses.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Monday, February 17, 2020