REPORTS TO: Executive Director
DIRECTLY SUPERVISES: Kennel Supervisor, Medical, Maintenance
The Operations Manager will be responsible for ensuring the kennel operation is operating at the highest level possible while supporting the Humane Society of the Black Hills (HSBH) mission in the community – Serving Animals. Serving Community. The Operations Manager is a management position responsible for managing and hiring kennel staff, analyzing and improving kennel processes to ensure the best animal care in a high functioning, efficient kennel operation with a focus on the efficient use of resources, decreasing costs, and driving revenue.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for managing, in conjunction with the Executive Director and medical team, animal care within the shelter’s annual budget approved by the Board of Directors. Animal care includes best use of resources, humane treatment, euthanasia, and responsible animal population management in the shelter and community.
New ideas, innovative programs or services directly related to animal care and/or animal population management in the community are encouraged.
This is a new position at the Humane Society of the Black Hills so the Operations Manager will have the opportunity to create new programs and develop new processes in a busy, active shelter environment.
Operations Manager responsibilities include:
Working with local veterinarians to secure services and manage costs;
Developing and implementing strategies, policies, and procedures for the HSBH operation;
Creating and managing kennel budget, seeking the best price for supplies and services; manage kennel supplies and orders;
Working with the Executive Director to prepare the annual budget and closely monitor income and expense throughout the year;
Maintaining records and statistics that include but are not limited to: animal population, adoption, euthanasia, and spay/neuter;
Tracking and managing kennel inventory;
Ensuring all legal and regulatory documents are filed and HSBH is in compliance with all laws and regulations;
Building alliances and partnerships with other organizations that support responsible animal management in the community and support the mission of HSBH;
Acting in place of the Executive Director in his/her absence;
Carries out other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
• Bachelor’s Degree and/or 5 years of relevant experience
• Minimum of three years of management experience, preferably within an organization of 20 or more
• Demonstrated supervisory knowledge, including motivational techniques and professional development/training methods
• Demonstrated program management knowledge including basic statistical methods, budget development and oversight, and knowledge of local, state and federal regulations for the workplace
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to helping others reach their full potential
• Ability to work in an emotionally taxing field – a positive attitude and sense of humor are essential
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule including some nights and weekends
Work is performed in an animal shelter. Potential for exposure to environmental factors such as temperature variations, high noise levels, zoonotic diseases, animal waste, hazardous chemicals or chemical materials requiring OSHA Material Safety Data Sheets, anesthetics, sharp objects and potential hostile persons and/or dangerous and fractious animals.
40 hours per week with some nights and weekends required
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Friday, November 22, 2019