Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA
Human Resources Assistant
The Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA (PHS/SPCA) is a local, private, non-profit charitable organization dedicated to animal welfare. It is our mission is to build healthy relationships between people and animals. PHS/SPCA is truly an open admission shelter, not only accepting many pet animals who might be refused at other shelters, but also taking care of injured and orphaned native wildlife from San Francisco through San Mateo and the northern half of Santa Clara County. Our work means 6,300 lives saved each year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Post and maintain all open positions on job boards
• Review all applicant resumes and phone screen qualified candidates
• Respond to all job inquiries from our website, emails, and phone calls
• Introduce the qualified candidates to the HR Manager and hiring department managers to proceed to the next steps in the recruitment process
• Maintain detailed recruitment status reports in the applicant tracking system
• Organize and maintain recruitment notes from hiring managers.
• Conduct in person interviews for ARC and VS.
• Coordinate administration and recruitment efforts for the RVT internship program and serve as the point of contact for the vet schools.
• Assist with the review, and updates of the organizations job descriptions and job postings.
• Attend job fairs
• Other recruiting related functions may be assigned
New Hire Process and Onboarding:
• Prepare new hire packets and onboarding materials
• Call references and run background checks
• Coordinate and facilitate onboarding meetings. Facilitates on boarding meetings for sister organization new hires.
• Assist in the preparation of materials used in new employee orientation and staff trainings
• Schedules and facilitates new employee check-ins (90 and 180-day reviews) for PHS and sister orgs. Alert HR Manager of any trends or immediate concerns.
• Responsible for maintaining new hire checklists and required documents for PHS and sister orgs.
• Conduct exit interviews for terminating employees at PHS and sister orgs.
• Assist the HR Manager with the research and execution of the safety programs, initiatives and trainings in an effort to maintain a company-wide work place environment free of incidents and accidents
o Member of safety committee
o Assist with training new safety committee members on building safety inspections
o Follow-up on outstanding building safety inspections, with designated safety committee members.
o Assist with workers compensation claims and tracking.
• Assist with annual IIPP updates
• Prepare, summarize and edit bi-weekly employee attendance/tardy/holiday reports for each department
• Record and track various employee relations programs, rewards and recognition programs
• Prepare termination packets and COBRA documents for exiting employees
• Assist in ensuring compliance with all federal, state and local legal requirements by understanding existing and new legislation
• Assist with troubleshooting/researching to resolve various HR related topics or problems as they arise
• Assist in organizing and implementing employee relation events, activities, reward and recognition programs
• Assist with the employee data maintenance of the ADP HRIS
• Maintain employee files electronically via Dropbox
• Perform other general administrative duties as assigned.
• Encourage and promote a positive public image of the organization
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with high attention to detail and accuracy ensuring deadlines are met and accurate records are kept. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure, handle multiple projects and adapt to changing priorities to deliver efficient and accurate results in a fast-paced HR environment
• Ability to work professionally in person and over the phone with volunteers, fellow co-workers, management, candidate applicants and members of the public.
• Ability to handle confidential information and records with the utmost of discretion
• Ability to work independently, possess strong organizational and time management skills, good problem solving skills as well as the ability to make suggestions to improve department efficiencies
• Strong attention to detail.
• Upon hire, must complete and pass background check
• Bachelor’s Degree (BA) or Associate’s Degree (AA); At least one year HR experience and/or training
• To perform this job successfully, an individual should have basic working knowledge of HRIS systems such ADP Workforce Now, Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, etc.) and computer keyboarding and data entry skills. Basic experience with Dropbox database. Basic experience with video conferencing systems.
• HR Certifications are a plus.
Job Title: HR Assistant
Division: Human Resources & Administration
Reports To: Manager, Human Resources
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/ Full-Time
Salary: $18.94 - $20.25/ hour DOE
Excellent Benefits Package Available
All permanent employees working 20+ hours per week
• Medical /Dental /Vision/Life/ Flex Spending
• Vacation and holiday pay
• Employee Assistance Plan
• Retirement plan & employer matching
Available to all employees with pets:
• Free vaccines, spay/neuter, microchipping, and two pet adoptions
• Discounted euthanasia services/cremation, bloodwork, urinalysis, prescription food, and discounts at our retail stores.
For more information about our available job opportunities and how to apply, please visit our website at www.peninsulahumanesociety.org/careers
The Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Friday, May 1, 2020