Who We Need
Are you a fan of long drives on open road? Does taking road trips with furry friends as companions sound like your idea of a good time? Do you consider yourself to be a punctual people person who also happens to love animals? If so, then the Placement Transporter position might just be for you!
ACC places approximately 20,000 animals per year and many of those animals are transferred to our partner organizations. While many of our partners are local to NYC, others are spread out across the area. The role of the Placement Transporter is to assist the animals with getting to their final destination by driving those animals to where they need to be, ensuring their safety and comfort along the way.
The Placement Transporter must use great critical thinking skills to ensure their trips are on time and be an expert communicator to keep various point people apprised of their status. Above all, the Placement Transporter must be gentle and patient, understanding that transport can be a stressful situation for any animal, and doing whatever necessary to keep the animals in their care as comfortable as possible.
This positions requires a valid NY State driver’s license in good standing and the ability to drive a large van. The geographic region this position focuses on is upstate NY and NJ. When not on the road, the Placement Transporter will help support other placement functions including but not limited to supporting adoption efforts at weekend mobile events and in the shelter as needed, assisting New Hope staff with marketing placement efforts, and helping to load and unload animals as they arrive and depart from ACC.
The Placement Transporter will ensure our animals arrive safely and are delivered to happy clients on the other end by:
- Being exceptionally punctual and detail oriented to ensure animals arrive at their intended destination on time.
- Ensuring that animals are provided with a comfortable, safe transport between locations, in a clean, secure vehicle and always adhering to best practices for companion animal transports.
- Completing daily transports for all animals placed within NYS and some placements in NJ. Including but not limited to, communicating with the receiver, ensuring that all paperwork and medication arrives with the animals, and communicating any issues that may arise on the trip back to ACC.
- Mapping out the most optimal routes for each daily trip to maximize efficiency.
- Completing emergency local transports on an as need and as available basis.
- Attending mobile events on the weekend and supporting overall placement efforts (bonus points for anyone willing to drive the Mobile Adoption Center!)
- Having a great working knowledge of the NYS highway system and main transportation routes in and out of NYC.
- Responding to email and phone calls and communicating effectively with the New Hope Staff, ART staff as well as various supervisors throughout the day.
- Acting as an ambassador for the organization in the community.
This is a full time job.
Animal Care Centers of NYC
Manhattan, Brooklyn, NY
Posting Date: January 10, 2019
Closing Date: April 10, 2019