Best Friends Animal Society is dedicated to ending the killing of dogs and cats in America’s shelters, and we’re looking for a passionate, committed Registered Veterinary Technician like you to join us.
Best Friends is seeking a Registered Veterinary Technician to provide quality medical care for our animals at our lifesaving center in Los Angeles. Our Mission Hills location includes a neonatal kitten nursery, a spay/neuter clinic, and a pet adoption center with more than 400 adoptable dogs and cats from L.A. city shelters. Our Mission Hills Lifesaving Center is located at 15321 Brand Boulevard, Mission Hills, CA 91345.
The Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) is part of a veterinary team providing high-volume spay/neuter surgeries as well as medical care to the shelter animals in the Adoption Center.
Responsibilities & Essential Duties:
- RVT for surgical induction.
- Monitor patients during surgery and post surgery.
- Communicating with public (Discharge instructions, etc.).
- Daily cleaning of work areas including but limited to, cleaning cages, mopping floors, etc.
- Preparing and filling prescriptions for center animals under the direction of Veterinarians.
- Perform medical care including but not limited to wrapping wounds, blood draws, medicating, nail trimming, IV catheter placement, SQ and IV fluids, fecal tests, microscopic exams, grooming needs, etc. under the direction Veterinarians.
- Administering prescribed medications, both oral and injectable.
- Assisting the Veterinarian in animal handling and general treatment.
- Preparing surgery packs and cleaning surgical equipment.
- Performing anesthetic machine daily and weekly maintenance.
- Stocking supplies and alerting the Clinic Manager on inventory needs.
- Other duties as assigned by Clinic Manager.
Applicants must have a valid California State RVT License and should have a minimum of 1 year work experience in sheltering or veterinary hospitals.
We offer competitive pay and our benefits package is one of the best! Make a difference in a shelter pet’s life today!
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
This is a full time job.
Posting Date: October 8, 2019
Closing Date: January 8, 2020