Looking to make a significant difference in the lives of shelter pets?
Do you have an interest in shelter medicine and a strong desire to be a part of a lifesaving team?
Nestled in the citrus groves of Santa Paula, CA the Santa Paula Animal Rescue Center (SPARC) is small no-kill non-profit animal shelter with a sheltering contract with the City of Santa Paula located just 15 minutes from the picturesque beaches in beautiful Ventura County. We receive just over 1,100 animals per year serving the City of Santa Paula and beyond and pride ourselves on providing stellar medical care to every pet we treat. We’re seeking a passionate doctor to lead our medical team and help expand services to our underserved community. Our small clinic is outfitting with an digital X-ray machine, in-house lab, dental equipment and more!
Currently seeking a full-time candidate (part-time considered):
In this position you will provide high-quality medical care to shelter animals, including dogs, cats, rabbits and occasional exotic animals. Including spay/neuter, and necessary surgical treatment of various medical conditions, herd health oversight, and healthcare maintenance on shelter pets. You will ensure the humane medical treatment of all animals seen in the shelter and clinic, assist in developing, advancing, and implementing shelter medicine protocols and help expand medical access to an underserved community to keep families together.
Example of Duties:
* Examine, diagnose and treat animals through receiving processes as animals arrive at the shelter.
* Triage traumatic injuries and serious illnesses to ensure that all animals receive time sensitive care.
* Treat sick or injured animals by diagnosing, developing treatment plans, prescribing medications, monitoring progress, etc.
* Administer vaccinations, treatments and other aspects of preventive care.
* Perform and assist with spay/neuter, dentals and other required surgeries.
* Collect body tissue, feces, blood, urine or other body fluids for examination and analysis.
* Operate diagnostic equipment, analyze test data or images to inform diagnosis or treatment.
* Maintain controlled substances including ordering and inventory in accordance with all laws.
* Oversee, train, coach and supervise employees within the medical department.
* Develop, write, review and update protocols for medical department.
* Keep up-to-date technically with industry best practices and applying new knowledge to your responsibilities.
* Document all exams, evaluations, treatments, surgeries, etc. in organization database.
* Participants in shelter rounds and timely pathway planning.
* Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with all shelter staff, local veterinarians, donors, volunteers, foster parents and the public.
* Work cooperatively with shelter leadership on identifying and meeting the needs of the medical department.
* May be responsible for overseeing or participating in the budget process for the medical department.
* Other duties as needed
* DVM; licensed to practice in the State of California
* DEA permit required
* 3 + years’ experience as a Veterinarian, shelter environment preferred, but not required (please submit if less than 3 years and strongly interested in position)
* Maintains a strong commitment to the no-kill philosophy
* Positive, friendly, collaborative, inclusive personality
* Must be experienced working with companion animals
* Experience in dentistry a plus
* Willing to hold site premise license
* Functional knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook, calendar management and Internet Explorer
* Comes from a place of “YES”
* Fear Free Certified preferred but not required upon hire
If you’re seeking a fun, rewarding and noble career in the animal sheltering industry, we’re looking for you!
Salary: Competitive Salary Based on Experience
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Friday, January 15, 2021