Assisting the veterinarian by performing health checks, surgery, and providing medications for animals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Examine animals in the shelter for diseases, parasites, injuries and other afflictions.
• Assist the veterinarian with diagnostic exams and medical procedures.
• Collect blood, urine, and stool samples as needed.
• Prepare animals for surgery. Monitor health during surgery and recovery.
• Administer vaccinations and medications for animals in the clinic and kennel.
• Perform basic first aid on injured animals.
• Maintain cleanliness and orderliness of medication and medical equipment.
• Clean instruments and surfaces. Wrap packs.
• Clean recovery and other cages in the clinic area. Clean crates if needed.
• Data entry of medical information, procedures, and notes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
• Knowledge of general animal care principles and practices.
• Ability to stand for extended periods (8 hours a day) and to bend and reach to perform assigned work activities.
• Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. without assistance.
• Ability to interact with impounded dogs, cats and other animals including vicious, stray, sick or injured animals. Ability to handle seeing and dealing with animals that have been abused, neglected or treated cruelly.
• Ability to understand and follow a variety of oral and written instructions/procedures.
• Ability to learn animal management software system and accurately enter information into the software system.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to learn/perform a variety of animal care related work activities.
• Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity.
• Ability to handle performing or assisting with euthanasia.
• Must be available to work on weekends.
• Must pass background check and drug screening.
• Must have reliable transportation.
• Must like animals!
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum of high school diploma. One+ years’ experience in animal related field preferred.
Must be able to read and interpret kennel policy guidelines and policies and procedures. Must be able to communicate effectively to kennel visitors and provide good customer services skills.
Must have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written or verbal form and to follow those instructions correctly.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certification in euthanasia may be required.
Drivers license may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, employee may be exposed to a kennel that is not air-conditioned and may be exposed to unpleasant kennel smells. May have to handle dogs and cats that are stray, injured, diseased or vicious. May also be exposed to animal carcasses.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Monday, February 17, 2020