Veterinary Team Assistant Manager
The Veterinary Team Assistant Manager is a point person for the Veterinary Services Department at the ACC. This is a mid-level managerial position responsible for the supervision and oversight of the Veterinary Services Department, ensuring compliance with organizational policies and procedures, specifically with regard to medical policy. The Veterinary Team Assistant Manager, in concert with, and in the absence of the Veterinary Team manager, will act as liaison between other departments in the shelter to ensure standards of care are met.
The Veterinary Team Assistant Manager needs to have strong interpersonal relationship skills to supervise the veterinary teams. These teams include the Licensed Veterinary Technicians, Veterinary Assistants, Medical Administrative Assistant and Animal Care Technicians (where applicable). They must maintain the operational flow of the day by ensuring that all tasks are completed by appropriate teams and requests from other departments are received and delegated to the appropriate member(s) of the staff. In addition, specific responsibilities will be assigned including the oversight of medical inventory (this includes controlled substances), equipment maintenance and reporting.
Collaboration, coaching, and people management (15%)
• Ensure the smooth operation of the Veterinary Services Department, but serve – in this instance – to set the standard for team work by supervising with integrity, authority, fairness and open-mindedness.
• Participate in Veterinary Services staff scheduling, hiring, evaluations and disciplinary action in cooperation with Veterinary Team Manager and Human Resources.
• Provide daily supervision of the Veterinary Services staff and the volunteers assigned to the Veterinary Services Department, as supplemental oversight to the Veterinary Team Manager.
Support Communication efforts within and across teams (20%)
• Facilitate interdepartmental communication and acts as a point of contact for other departments to ensure the Veterinary team upholds their responsibilities to other departments.
• Oversee scheduling of in-house surgeries through audit of medical records and prioritizing surgery requests from other departments.
• Oversee scheduling with partner organizations (e.g. ASPCA mobile spay-neuter units); responsible for documentation and other necessary paperwork required for animals receiving outside medical care (e.g. spay/neuter or medical care at off-site locations).
Operations Management (20%)
• As assigned by Veterinary Team Manager or in absence of, assume all operational responsibilities in managing the Veterinary Services Department.
• Delegate and ensure completion of all required tasks assigned to the team, including cleaning, record keeping and patient care.
• Maintain all cleaning protocols and biosecurity measures.
• Oversee the maintenance, servicing, and repair of Medical equipment and ultimately assume responsibility for the completion of those activities.
• Anticipate need and/or facilitate transfer of patients to other ACC care centers/outside agencies for medical and surgical care.
Inventory management and compliance (40%)
• Order, maintain and manage all inventory ensuring that the department is adequately stocked, including reconciliation with our Inventory Management Software.
• Order and maintain controlled substances within the shelter, including regular monitoring and reporting requirements.
• Monitor and maintain accurate drug logs and medical records, as required by law.
• Ensure compliance with relevant regulatory laws (e.g. medical waste) and interact in a professional manner when serving as a liaison with the NYC Department of Health in all relevant issues (e.g. preparation of rabies specimens, observance of DOH-holds).
• Generate all necessary reports pertaining to the Veterinary Services department to satisfy ACC/DOH contractual obligations
• Review, address and assign necessary action to all appropriate Veterinary Services Department reports, Quality Assurance Alerts and Daily Rounds requests pertaining to the department.
• Work with the Sr. Manager – Veterinary Services to ensure compliance with relevant state law and city code.
• Work with Sr. Veterinary Services Administrator to ensure compliance with OSHA regulations within the department.
• Other duties as assigned by Veterinary Team Manager, Sr. Manager – Veterinary Operations, Sr. Veterinary Operations Administrator or Executive Management.
Places the wellbeing of animals first; has demonstrated leadership ability and possesses excellent organizational skills; treats people with respect and is proficient at conflict resolution; has basic familiarity with computers, MS Office and database experience; is able to set the tone for professionalism and performance expectations within Medical department; conveys ideas, concepts, policies, and procedures to staff, as well as ensuring their understanding and compliance; communicates efficiently, effectively and appropriately; sets high benchmarks for productivity; unquestionable ability to effectively problem solve
Education and Work Experience
At least one of the following:
• College Degree in Business Administration or other relevant field
• Licensed Veterinary Technician
• Minimum 3 years of relevant experience – Supervisory, Practice Management or Head Technician
While performing the duties of the job, the employee must have the ability to work in an animal care facility where euthanasia is performed. Also, the employee must have the ability to remain calm and assertive in stressful situations. The noise level in the environment can be very loud.
This position will require a flexible schedule including weekends
This position will require occasional travel to ACC headquarters or the other ACC Care Centers.
Reports To: Veterinary Team Manager
Overtime: This is a non-union position and is eligible for overtime.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Friday, February 7, 2020