This full time DVM position will work primarily in IndyHumane’s vaccine clinics providing education and preventative care to pet owners and rescue groups in the community as well as working with the shelter medical team to provide care for IndyHumane’s shelter animals. The ideal candidate will be able to have a flexible schedule and be willing to step in when needed.
Essential job functions:
- Physical examinations, vaccinations, micro chipping, heartworm testing, FeLV/FIV testing, fecal and urine exams, nail trims, client education, cleaning, and special projects as needed.
- Diagnosing and establishing treatment plans in a shelter setting for IndyHumane’s shelter population.
- Perform spay and neuter procedures on shelter animals as well as other surgical procedures as necessary.
- Demonstrate a high level of knowledge & skill in these areas.
- Must be able to communicate basic veterinary concepts to owners.
- Actively promote spay/neuter and educate clients on responsible pet ownership.
- Communicate with the public daily in a professional and welcoming manner.
- Must possess cultural sensitivity and enjoy working with a diverse group of pet owners.
- Commitment to treating people and animals with respect, contributing to an effective team, and fostering public relations that benefit the shelter and its programs.
- DVM and Indiana licensing required.
- Must possess a positive attitude.
- Must be a self-starter and willing to be flexible.
- Must be able to read dog and cat body language and be familiar with safe handling techniques.
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills and be able to work well in a team.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and good bedside manner.
- Must always represent IndyHumane in a professional and courteous manner.
- Must have the ability to learn and follow protocols consistently, adapt to constantly changing environments, and problem-solving.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a full time job.
Posting Date: March 15, 2019
Closing Date: July 1, 2019