- Compassion Fatigue Awareness Project
- Green Cross Academy of Traumatology
- HelpGuide Emotional Intelligence Toolkit
- Trauma Stewardship
COMMUNITY OUTREACH and ENGAGEMENT
- Humane law enforcement/dog encounters
- Missing Pet Partnership, tools and tips to help recover lost pets.
- Pets Are Welcome: create more pet-friendly rental housing in your community
- For the public – point the point owners in your community to humanesociety.org/petsarewelcome
- Pets For Life Program & Toolkit
- Surrender prevention
- humanesociety.org/pets - you’ll find info on just about every kind of companion animal here. Help frustrated pet owners solve common pet issues.
- humanesociety.org/catanswertool - help cat owners solve common behavior issues that can lead to surrender.
- humanesociety.org/affordpet - resources for pet owners struggling with financial difficulty.
- Pet retention animalsheltering.org/page/offer-proactive-behavior-support - everything you need to start your organization’s own pet retention program!
DISEASE CONTROL, SHELTER HEALTH and ANIMAL CARE
- Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters, sheltervet.org (click on “Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters” under Quick Links)
- Available in Spanish – search for “Spanish” at sheltervet.org
- The Virtual Consultant, http://virtualconsultant.sheltermedicine.com/
- The base concept for the Guidelines is the Five Freedoms: animalsheltering.org/page/rescue-group-best-practices-five-freedoms
1. Freedom from hunger and thirst
2. Freedom from discomfort
3. Freedom from pain, injury and disease
4. Freedom to express normal behavior
5. Freedom from fear and distress
- The UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program, sheltermedicine.com
- Vaccination guidelines for cats
- Vaccination guidelines for dogs
- American Heartworm Society
- Center for Shelter Dogs
- Exotic animal care:
- Herp and amphibian care
- Small mammals
- House Rabbit Society – rabbit care
- Avian Welfare Coalition – companion birds
- The Gabriel Foundation – parrots and other psittacine birds
- Guinea pigs
- Homes for Horses - equine
1. Wildlife Care Basics for Veterinary Hospitals guide and Wild Neighbors book - animalsheltering.org/store
2. Wild animal tip sheets, Humane Backyard and more
3. Watch our wildlife webinars
- Humane euthanasia resources – when euthanasia is the only option, ensure it’s performed as humanely as possible with our guide and other resources:animalsheltering.org/page/humane-euthanasia
- animalsheltering.org/grantlistings - our big list of animal-focused grantmakers for all different types of animal organizations.
- The Grantsmanship Center - Search for more funding sources by state.
- The Foundation Center– find out who the big funders are.
- GrantSpace– tools for all things grant-writing and getting! Get information and training in person at one of their more than 450 Funding Information Network locations.
OPERATIONAL and ADMINISTRATIVE
- Rescue Central - resources for starting and running an animal welfare organization
- BoardSource – Great resource for nonprofit orgs.
- Free Management Library – resources on running an organization.
- University of North Carolina assessment programs – In partnership with the Humane Society of the United States, UNC offers three affordable services designed to help animal organizations become better places to work and volunteer by anonymously surveying their staff and volunteers!
- International City/County Management Association
- Global Federation of Sanctuaries
- National Association of Counties
- National League of Cities
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT, CONTINUING EDUCATION and TRAINING
The animal welfare field continues to evolve and change - there’s always something new to learn!
- Animal Sheltering resources:
- Humane Society Academy
- PetSmart Charities
- Maddie’s Fund
- National Animal Control Association
- Society of Animal Welfare Administrators (SAWA)
- National conferences:
SHELTER DATA and STUDIES
- Shelter Animals Count – a collaborative effort to create standardized reporting and definitions for shelter statistics.
- Animal Studies Repository
- Million Cat Challenge
- Faunalytics - Faunalytics finds and makes sense of research so advocates can use it to help animals.
- animalsheltering.org/page/pets-numbers - our compilation of animal sheltering and pet data from HSUS’s own and others’ research
SPANISH LANGUAGE RESOURCES
- animalsheltering.org/store; select Product Category “Spanish Language Resources”
- Feral cat handout in Spanish
- Feral cat colony information in Spanish
- The AVMA has a large number of Spanish-language brochures, care sheets, educational materials and more for download or order. Go to avma.org and search for “Spanish”
- Humane Society International
- Association of Shelter Veterinarians’ Pautas para Niveles Acceptables de Cuidado en Refugios des Animales and Pautas para la Atencion Medica Veterinaria para los Programas de Esterilization y Castracion – sheltervet.org; search for “Spanish”
- Alley Cat Allies – many resources for Spanish-speaking colony caregivers including webinars in Spanish. alleycat.org, search “Spanish”
- ifaw.org – rabies prevention and disaster preparedness info; search “Spanish”
- HSI Humane Education
- ASPCA Spay/Neuter Alliance
- Association of Shelter Veterinarians’ new Veterinary Medical Care Guidelines for Spay-Neuter Programs, sheltervet.org – look in “Quick Links” box
- Pets For Life toolkit
- PetSmart Charities/ASPCA low-cost spay/neuter clinic locator
- North Shore Animal League America’s SpayUSA affordable spay/neuter services network
TNR AND COMMUNITY CATS
- Alley Cat Allies
- Best Friends Animal Society Community Cats Programs Handbook
- HSUS managing community cats
- HSUS outdoor cats
- HSUS how to manage a community cat colony
- Million Cat Challenge
- Neighborhood Cats
- HSUS volunteer management
- Open Paw, animal training resources for shelters, volunteers and the public
- Volunteer Program Assessment