Emotionally evocative images and stories work. They also have the complicated potential side-effect of creating and supporting a narrative that might be our biggest obstacle in raising funds to do impactful work. As many of our organizations shift to serving more low-income pet owners and keeping pets healthy and at home, the stories we’ve told about people in the past might be presenting a challenge in the present – as our frequent focus on cruelty and neglect may have reinforced the idea that if you can’t “afford it,” you shouldn’t have a pet. But affordability is neither constant nor straightforward. As we increasingly turn our efforts to not just bringing – but keeping – people and pets together, that narrative may no longer serve us well.
This seminar will make the case for a purpose-driven approach and provide some tools to try it out. Over two days, we’ll:
- Examine our field’s historical and current approach to communication and fundraising
- Explore the powerful differences between an organization’s what, how, and why
- Consider the key components of organizational identity
- Develop an “identity doc” for our work and translate that identity into practice
- Practice storytelling and identify the most effective elements for moving people with authenticity and dignity
- Craft compelling messages in real-time
Who Should Attend: This seminar is intended for organizational leadership, development and fundraising staff, marketing and communication staff, and anyone interested in turning the things you believe into compelling messages to attract support.
If any of these sound familiar, this might be the seminar for you:
- You find yourself constantly wondering how to shift away from the sad and toward more hopeful fundraising and marketing messages.
- You feel like you could really break through the noise if you could just get some clarity about what your organization truly stands for.
- Your organization’s mission statement includes multiple bullet points, is over 250 words long, and no one in your organization can recite it with even remote precision.
For more information or to register, please go to: https://emancipetnewschool.regfox.com/fywfyw-09-9-10-19
Note: Early Bird Pricing ($100 discount) is available through 7/22/19. Last day to register is 8/19/19.
Event Location: Austin